Saturday, April 2, 2011

Over the Hump

Amazing the difference a day or two can make. The IBS is under control -- for the moment. I finally got a decent night's sleep, and I woke up with some enthusiasm this morning. I managed to ski for three hours in nice spring conditions, lunch on the deck with my friends, and take my dogs for a nice long walk.

The funny thing about writing this blog is that I feel like I have come out of the closet with my fibro. It is something I have only mentioned in passing with a few close friends, and something I rarely talk about in detail, even with them. Now I am talking a great deal about it. I don't give every graphic detail, but I am exposing myself more.

It's uncomfortable. I want to spread awareness of fibro, but I really don't want people to look at me as a victim. I actually don't want people looking at me at all. I have always been uncomfortable with too much attention.

The other problem is the well-meaning people who all have solutions to my problems. The solution that amused me the most was from an acquaintance who was pushing me towards all kinds of supplements that are supposed to reduce inflammation. Although well-intentioned, fibromyalgia is not an inflammatory disease.

To paraphrase morning talk shows, when women vent, they just want someone to listen to them. Women don't always want a solution. Men always feel that they must provide a solution when a woman shares her problems with them. That is what I am finding as I keep this blog. I am not really writing it hoping that someone will provide a solution to all my problems. I am writing it to gives others a chance to see what living with fibro is like from one person's perspective. Ultimately, that is the purpose of this book, to share a number of perspectives so as to provide a little insight into what it is like to suffer from a chronic pain syndrome, especially one that has no outwardly noticeable characteristics.

Tomorrow, I plan to spend another day enjoying the sunshine while skiing and picnicking with my friends. Let's hope I stay over the hump for a nice long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment