Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My First Post

This is my first blog entry ever. Although I've been a technical writer for many years, I have never been interested in keeping a journal. What changed my mind? The book I'm writing - Portraits of Fibromyalgia.

In Portraits of Fibromyalgia, I wish to paint a picture, both verbally and pictorially, of those of us who suffer from fibromyalgia. This book is not the typical description of diagnosis, symptoms, treatments, and so on. Nor is it a self-help book that delineates step-by-step how to fix the problem and improve your life. Instead it is a means of providing empathy and awareness for a syndrome that is difficult for others to understand.

Originally, I just planned to write a chapter that was my self-portrait, but I never liked what I wrote. It seemed dry and uninteresting. Then recently I had a flare, and it occurred to me to chronicle my struggles with fibro as I write the book. I plan to use this blog to do so, and eventually some of the material from this blog will serve as transitionary elements between the interviewee's portraits.

I am excited to say that though I only started this project in late November of 2010, I have already lined up twelve volunteers and interviewed three. I am learning so much, and meeting some very interesting people. I hope you will follow me on my journey.


2 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I feel like I learn more about you every day. As ski racers, we often don't take the time to explore each others' interests or personal struggles. You may have a chronic disease which saps your energy from time to time, but to me, you have enormous drive to succeed as a chef, artist, athlete, business owner. You will not be defeated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. I think the real problem is I might suffer from undiagnosed ADD.

    ReplyDelete