Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Jump-start Failure

Saturday was a gorgeous autumn day. I decided to enjoy the sunshine and take my dogs for a long walk in Naples. When we returned to the car, it would not start. A kind lady let me use her car to jump mine, but nothing. Finally, I called AAA. Three hours later, I was home with my parent's car. My car sat lifeless at the service station until Monday. That's my problem -- lifelessness. I feel like I need a jump-start, but it is just not working.

I exhibited in a holiday show this past weekend, and I overheard two artists talking. It caught my ear, because the one artist, now former-artist, was describing how she would see some form of art, get excited about it, go home inspired, and then nothing. She just froze. Little by little, she tossed out her arts and craft supplies. She could not put brush to canvas.

I could completely understand this. I'm not yet ready to toss out my art and writing supplies, but I understand the freezing. I think about my writing, and my drawing, and I am overwhelmed. I doubt my abilities; I'm afraid to put something on computer or paper for fear it won't be any good; I make lots of excuses. Maybe I need a new starter like my car did.

No comments:

Post a Comment