Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Weekly Pill Organizer

The weekly pill organizer waits patiently. Each empty cubicle represents one day out of one week of my life. Large blue block letters indicate the day of the week. These days are spelt out in slightly smaller block letters. I lift the first lid to begin the process of refilling the pills for the week. 

I start on Sunday. For some, the Holy day or Sabbath, for others the last day of the weekend. I place the first pill into the receptacle-- one birth control pill. Is this pill an indication of my rabid sex-life? Does it represent taking responsibility for my actions? The reality is less exciting. Severe PMS is common in fibromites. I take this pill daily to control wild hormonal fluctuations. I place one of these pills in each receptacle, then I turn to the next.

Cinnamon is a spice obtained from the inner bark of several trees from the genus Cinnamomum that is used in both sweet and savoury foods. Cinnamon trees are native to South East Asia, and according to some studies, cinnamon may improve blood glucose and cholesterol levels in people with Type 2 diabetes. 

Both my parents have Type 2 diabetes, my cousin has it, two of my uncles have had it. Genetically, I am at great risk to have it too. Therefore, I proactively take a 500 mg capsule of cinnamon at both breakfast and dinner daily.

Next I add my flaxseed oil. I chose flax seed oil over fish oil, because I am pre-menopausal. Flax seed oil can help stabilize a woman's estrogen-progesterone ratio, have beneficial effects on the menstrual cycle, and relieve the hot flashes of peri-menopause and menopause.  

Flaxseed and flaxseed oil contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid that partly and inefficiently converts into DHA and EPA. I can get this more directly from fish oil, but I see no need to take both supplements, and the fish oil does not provide the menopausal benefits. Additionally, flaxseed has shown some ability to lower inflammation markers, although not as efficiently as fish oil.

The dark green pill I add is magnesium. Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and is essential to good health. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. Those of us with fibromyalgia have been found to be low in magnesium. Irritable bowel syndrome is also one of those ailments that commonly accompanies fibromyalgia. In my case it is IBS-C, or IBS with constipation. Taking a magnesium supplement is a common treatment for both fibro and IBS-C.

Joining the daily pill party is a B-complex supplement. B vitamins are known to support energy production in the cells. Vitamin B-12, in particular, helps to combat nerve problems, such as tingling and tenderness.

Of course in our pill-popping world, no supplement party is complete without a pro-biotic. My pro-biotic is perfectly spherical, creamy-colored, and appropriately named Pearls IC. I have tried the yogurts and other supplements with no success. An herbalist recommended this one for me, and if nothing else, I noticed I don't get yeast infections anymore when I must take an antibiotic.  

Then I must add the dreaded pink pill. Dreaded because if I remove it, I get extremely sick. This little pill is Prilosec or the generic equivalent. Some of you may groan in horror. "Oh you must not take that daily. It will do bad things to you. It is better to change your diet." I don't want to change my diet. First I am a pretty healthy eater, and second I love tomatoes and chocolate, and refuse to give either up.

Unfortunately GERD, heart-burn, acid-reflux, all names for the same disorder, is a common problem for fibromites. When I have tried easing off the Prilosec, or used other home-spun remedies, the results have been disastrous, and worse than the fibro itself. So the pink pill stays for as long as it works.

The last entrant to the party is Zoloft, or at least its generic equivalent. I finally gave in last spring and decided to try an anti-depressant for both the fibro and IBS symptoms. Zoloft belongs to a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). The medication works by balancing serotonin levels in the brain.

Experts do not know exactly how SSRIs work to improve fibromyalgia. But some people with fibro who take SSRIs seem to have improved mood and less fatigue. Similar to treating diabetes with the missing insulin, antidepressants may help recover the brain's ability to respond to pain signals properly. Certain antidepressants can also help regulate abnormal bowel functions like diarrhea and, constipation, as well as other IBS symptoms. The tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) help with diarrhea and the SSRIs help treat constipation.

The pill organizer is replete. Each cubbyhole is full for another week. Does it sound like a lot of drugs and hype-filled supplements? Maybe, but I know my IBS has improved considerably, my blood sugar is great, I am not suffering from severe-gas, cramps, and acid from GERD, and I have yet to suffer any peri-menopausal symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment