Saturday, March 19, 2011

DST - End of Week

So at the end of the first week of DST, how have I done? Not too bad overall. I hit a wall Thursday, after an early morning follow-up visit to my mother's surgeon, followed by some morning skiing.

Thursday was a gorgeous spring skiing day, and towards the end of the time I had allotted myself, I became very hungry and my legs became very heavy. Now the hunger you would expect. I skied for a couple hours, but I also ate a very early breakfast and then another one just before skiing to compensate. So I don't really know why I was so hungry. The heavy legs were a sign I was pushing a little too hard.

I went home, had some lunch, and then the fatigue overwhelmed me. I had to take a nap. I slept for nearly two hours and woke up groggy. Once I got moving though, I managed to walk the dogs, and start some bread dough.

I had expected some fatigue beyond the norm this week, so I allowed myself some more down time and watched a movie. I  headed off to bed rather early. I took an Ambien that evening to ensure I slept. (One of these days I'll blog on my thoughts about different treatments for fibro.) I allowed myself to sleep in on Friday, and then I jumped right back into activity.

I hit another wall today (Saturday) after skiing. We had two beautiful days of spring weather. Today it dropped into the low 30's and snowed lightly. To make matters worse, it was the spring carnival. So my friends and I picnicked in what now felt like bitter cold weather after the warmth. Sucked the life right out of me! I was so cold that I had to take a hot bath and a nap. I can't say that I am particulary perky now, but I did manage to walk the dogs and bake some more cookies.

I think the biggest problem I am having with DST is that I am finding myself ready to crawl into bed about 7 pm. Even for me, that is a bit early. I don't believe my pain is any better or worse, but I am a little more tired lately. I hope that I will wind back up and shake this off, rather than winding down like I have done in the past, resulting in a flare of chronic fatigue for weeks on end.

I will listen to my body tonight, and allow it some rest. The funny thing about fibro, is you never know whether or not resting really makes a difference. Sometimes you take perfect care of yourself, and you still flare. Sometimes you take terrible care of yourself and you don't flare.

So what's with all the baking? I am experimenting with some new recipes. Here's a little plug for my side business. If you live in the Rochester, NY area, I have a booth at the Mendon Farmer's Market during the summer. I sell baked goods and my artwork. If you're in the area this summer, come visit me! http://www.cibi-d.com/market.php

No comments:

Post a Comment